Power cuts are frequent in India, with some cities witnessing power outages for long durations. It can be challenging to endure a power cut, especially in the summer months, at night.
The heat can make it unbearable to sleep peacefully. The right solution would be to have an inverter working for you to provide an uninterrupted power supply.
Almost every Indian home has an inverter connection. The power depends on the number of appliances the household wants to function during the power outage.
Generally, people prefer to have a couple of fans and LED lamps to remain functioning.
Today, you have refrigerators that can also connect to home inverters. Therefore, it makes much sense to invest in a robust inverter system. The choice of the inverter battery becomes crucial under such circumstances.
Various factors go into choosing the ideal inverter battery for your home. While our buying guide discusses the crucial aspects to watch out for, here are some of the best inverter batteries available on the Indian market.
1. Luminous Red Charge RC 25000 200AH, Recyclable-Tall Tubular Inverter Battery for Home, Office & Shops
Luminous is the first name that comes to mind when searching for the best inverter batteries. The Red Charge RC 25000 200AH is a powerful inverter battery that guarantees superior power and higher efficiency while maximizing battery life.
This inverter battery’s striking feature is that it is engineered to perform superbly, even with heavy-duty applications. As it is built to last long in Indian conditions, this battery requires less maintenance. It is capable of withstanding frequent power cuts.
The low amount of antimony alloy used in this battery’s manufacture ensures that it requires less maintenance. The robust tubular plates last long to provide the ideal for places experiencing frequent power cuts.
The 200AH capacity ensures high backup performance. Recharging the battery is not an issue as it offers excellent overcharge resistance. The fast-recharging ability makes this battery the ideal one to have in your home.
2. Amaron Inverter 150AH Tall Tubular Battery
Amaron presents an exquisite range of inverter batteries to choose from. The best aspect of Amaron batteries is that they are compatible with all inverter brands.
The high heat tolerance capacity of the Amaron batteries makes it the ideal one to have in Indian weather conditions.
This Amaron battery comes fully charged from the factory and displays the maximum reserve capacity. The striking feature of this Amaron Tall Tubular battery is that the charging is easy and quick.
The tall structure makes it comfortable for the battery to save space, and hence, proves ideal for Indian homes that usually have space constraints. This battery has a low lead reserve that enables it to last much longer than other batteries.
This Amaron Tall Tubular battery is less prone to lose water. Therefore, it does not require much maintenance. The high heat resistance calcium/ultra-modified hybrid alloy for its grids adds to its durability quotient and makes it an almost zero-maintenance battery.
3. Luminous Shakti Charge SC 18054 150AH Tall-Tubular Inverter Battery
This high-performance battery is ideal for home, office, and shops because it can provide continuous backup for extended periods. The thick tubular plates are ideally suited for areas suffering from frequent power cuts.
This battery features high-purity corrosion-resistant proprietary spine alloy composition to ensure extended service life.
The presence of a tubular plate construction ensures uniform distribution of positive active material to provide a superlative performance.
This inverter battery features an extra-strong and flexible oxidation-resistant gauntlet for excellent performance and an extremely long life. The high-quality tubular plates are designed for better charge acceptance.
This inverter battery recharges quickly on power resumption to ensure that it is ready to serve you when the power cut happens again. This inverter battery can bear a running load comprising a fridge, an LED TV, three fans, two tube lights, and one LED bulb.
The six water level indicators keep you informed of the water levels so that you are ready to refill them whenever required.
4. Luminous Red Charge RC 18000 150AH Recyclable Tall Tubular Inverter Battery
The advanced tubular plate technology ensures uninterrupted and regulated power availability. This battery is ideal for meeting all kinds of power storages and compatible with all inverters available on the market.
This battery is capable of delivering superior power and higher efficiency while maximizing battery life. This inverter battery’s fascinating feature is that it is designed to perform at its best, even with heavy-duty applications.
The tall tubular battery is advantageous as it occupies less space overall. Besides, the low antimony alloy used in the tubular plates ensures low maintenance.
As it delivers excellent overcharge tolerance, this battery is best suited for areas with long and frequent power cuts.
The sealed plastic housing makes this battery durable and capable of lasting for extended periods. This battery is available in a fully-charged and ready-to-use condition. It can sustain a running load of a refrigerator, one LED TV, two tube lights, one LED lamp, and three ceiling fans.
5. V-Guard VJ145 135AH Flat Tubular Inverter Battery
V-Guard is another prominent Indian inverter battery manufacturer with an established market share. The V-Guard flat tubular inverter battery’s primary advantage is that it is compatible with almost all inverter types available in India.
The V-Guard batteries can provide excellent backup from three and a half hours at full load to fifty-four hours at the minimum load. Hence, these inverter batteries are ideal for use in areas experiencing long power cuts.
It features six battery level indicators to keep you abreast of the water levels inside the battery. The battery looks small and compact, capable of fitting into any home, office, or shop.
The long-lasting ability and the quick recharging features are some aspects that should influence your decision to go for this flat tubular inverter battery. It can handle a decent load of three to four ceiling fans, a couple of tube lights, an LED lamp, and even an LED TV.
Buying Guide for the best inverter battery
While choosing the right inverter for your home is crucial, the perfect inverter battery’s choice is equally significant. The inverter cannot operate on its own without its batteries.
The choice of your battery also depends on your inverter and its capacity. It can be a massive challenge to select the right battery with the available options on the market.
Before purchasing your battery, it is better to be aware of the different terminologies. This buying guide will look into all these aspects. We shall start with calculating the battery capacity.
Calculate your battery capacity.
When you venture to purchase batteries, you encounter the term AH. What does AH represent? In simple words, AH is an acronym for Ampere Hour. It indicates the amount of power the battery can supply for a specific duration. For example, a 100AH battery can be expressed in various ways.
- 100 amperes for one hour
- 50 amperes for two hours
- 25 amperes for four hours
The formula for calculating battery capacity is as follows.
Battery Capacity = (Total Load in watts x Backup in hours) / (Voltage)
Load in Watts denotes the amount of power your devices in your home consume. In the case of an inverter battery, you calculate the load based on the devices you connect to the inverter. Thus, if you wish to connect five lamps of 40 watts each and three fans consuming 75 watts each, the practical power requirement is (5 x 40) + (3 x 75) = 425 watts.
Backup in hours indicates the amount of time you need as a backup. The more backup you need, the more is the battery size.
Voltage represents the voltage of a battery cell. In India, it is generally 12V because 24V and 48V batteries are not available here. If you need higher voltage, you can add multiple batteries.
This table should simplify matters for you to arrive at the ideal battery size for your inverter.
|Power Requirement||Backup required||Suggested Battery Capacity|
|600 Watts||Two hours||(600 x 2) / 12 = 100AH|
|900 Watts||Two hours||(900 x 2) / 12 = 150AH|
|1000 Watts||Three hours||(1000 x 3) / 12 = 250AH|
With the battery capacity calculations out of the way, let us discuss the different types of batteries available on the market.
If you go through our battery reviews, you will find terms like ‘Tall Tubular Battery,’ or ‘Flat Plate Battery,’ etc. These are some of the different battery types available today. Besides the two types mentioned above, you also have the ‘Sealed Maintenance Free’ batteries. These batteries have additional features. Let us discuss them in detail.
Flat Plate Batteries
Pros of Flat Plate Batteries
- The prime advantage of a flat plate battery is that they are the least expensive of the lot.
- If you live in places where power cuts are rare, you can go for the flat plate battery.
Cons of Flat Plate Batteries
- Flat plate batteries require regular maintenance and refilling of distilled water every three to six months.
- It is not a good idea to use flat plate batteries for indoor use.
- Compared to other batteries, the flat plate batteries have a shorter lifespan.
- It is not advisable to have flat plate batteries in areas experiencing extended power cuts because they are not built for deep discharging.
- Compared to tubular batteries, the flat plate batteries take more time to recharge.
Tall Tubular Batteries
Pros of Tall Tubular Batteries
- The tubular batteries are built explicitly for deep discharging. Hence, they are ideal batteries to use in areas experiencing frequent and extended power cuts.
- Compared to the flat plate batteries, the tubular batteries take less time for recharging. Therefore, you are better prepared to face the next power cut.
- These cells require less water topping compared to flat plate batteries.
- Though these are also lead-acid batteries, they are more reliable than flat plate batteries.
- Manufacturers offer extended warranties on tall tubular batteries.
Cons of Tubular Batteries
- Though requiring less maintenance, they still need water topping at regular intervals.
- Compared to other batteries, the tubular cells are the most expensive.
Tall Tubular Batteries Vs. Flat Plate Batteries
Before proceeding with sealed maintenance-free batteries, let us discuss the differences between the tall tubular and flat plate batteries.
|Feature||Flat Plate Batteries||Tall Tubular Batteries|
|Electrode Type||Positive and Negative plates||Positive tube and negative plate|
|Battery Lifespan||Up to three years||Up to five years|
|Efficiency||As this battery wastes current, it is comparatively less efficient.||The tall tubular battery does not waste much power. Hence, these batteries are efficient.|
|Maintenance||High maintenance in the form of frequent distilled water toppings||Comparatively low maintenance|
|Safety Levels||Low safety||Low safety|
|Release of toxic gases||Yes||Yes|
|Ventilation||Requires ventilation||Requires ventilation|
|Weight||Low in weight||Heavier in comparison|
|Pricing||Comparatively cheaper||Expensive compared to flat plate batteries|
Sealed Maintenance Free Batteries (SMF)
Pros of SMF batteries
- SMF batteries do not need any maintenance or water topping.
- Compared to the tall tubular batteries, the SMF batteries are less expensive.
- SMF batteries are the safest of all batteries to use because they do not emit any toxic gases.
Cons of SMF Batteries
- SMF batteries are not compatible with all inverters.
The following table sums up the different types of batteries discussed above in brief.
|Feature||Flat Plate Battery||Tubular Battery||Sealed Maintenance-Free Battery|
|Battery Lifespan||Low, around three years||Good, about five years||Medium, approximately three to four years|
|Water refilling||High||Medium||Not necessary|
|Releases toxic gases||Yes||Yes||No|
|Weight||Comparatively low||Heavy||Depends on the model|
|Top brands||Luminous, Amaron, Exide, Su-Kam||Amaron, Su-Kam, Exide, Luminous||Amaron, Luminous|
Inverter Compatibility is crucial
Before purchasing your inverter battery, it is advisable to check for inverter compatibility. The inverter VA depends on the total power required.
If you have an inverter with 150VA capacity and require a power backup for two hours, you need not invest in a 200AH battery. The minimum battery capacity should suffice.
It can be tricky comparing an inverter and battery combination. The ideal solution is to go for an inverter and battery combo, especially if you are purchasing an inverter for the first time.
Better to avoid local batteries
People tend to go for an excellent inverter but become stingy when purchasing a battery. They prefer a local battery because they cost less.
However, local brands do not follow the necessary safety standards, whereby they have a low lifespan. Besides, an inferior battery can pull down the inverter’s efficiency, as well.
The local inverter battery brands generally release toxic gases like carbon monoxide that can prove harmful to the household and the environment. The reputed brands ensure low emission levels, whereas the local brands do not guarantee it.
The local battery brands require a lot of maintenance and do not come with extended warranties. Many people opt for refurbished batteries. It is not advisable because they can be unsafe and do not have an extended lifespan.
An extended warranty is beneficial any day.
Tips for maintenance and handling of inverter batteries
Your inverter batteries can last long if you maintain them well. These tips could help you in this regard.
- It is not advisable to expose the battery to direct sunlight. Usually, you have inverters with trolleys that provide the necessary protection for the battery.
- The battery should be kept away from all heat sources, in a dry and fully ventilated place. The flat plate and tubular batteries require more ventilation because they emit toxic gases like carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide, especially the local brands.
- Ensure that the battery terminals have proper insulation. Children might touch them and suffer from unnecessary mishaps. It is advisable to keep batteries out of reach of children.
- It is better to place the battery at ground level. It becomes convenient to monitor the float indicators in them from time to time. If you have SMF batteries, you can keep them at elevated levels.
- Though these batteries are known as lead-acid batteries, one should never add acid to the battery. The refilling should be through distilled water alone. Distilled water is available at battery shops and petrol bunks.
- It is not advisable to keep the battery water indicator lids open.
- Inverter batteries come with extended warranties. Hence, it is better to contact the authorized service representative for servicing.
- You can exchange your old battery for a new one and get a decent discount. Therefore, you should not discard them into dustbins, etc. These batteries are recyclable.
- One should use the inverter batteries regularly. If there is no power cut for an entire month, you can switch off the mains and let your inverter supply power for a cycle. It helps to discharge the battery and recharge it again.
- The battery terminals should be corrosion-free. If you notice rust or salt accumulation on the terminals, it is better to clean them. A combination of hot water and baking soda can prove beneficial. You can use an old toothbrush to clean the terminals. Once clean, you should apply petroleum jelly or Vaseline to the terminals, nuts, and bolts to prevent further corrosion.
- If the battery becomes bloated, it is a sign to replace it immediately.
The inverter battery is an essential home appliance. It is your best friend in the case of a power cut. Hence, one should ensure its proper maintenance all the time. The tips discussed by us for maintaining and handling the inverter battery should prove useful. Maintain your inverter battery well and enjoy an uninterrupted power supply to your household.
Last update on 2021-04-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API