A good night’s rest is what anyone would appreciate after a tough day at the office. When you have the perfect mattress waiting for you, going to bed is something you would look forward to.
The choice of the ideal mattress is crucial because an incompatible bed can cause unnecessary spinal problems. Choosing the ideal mattress is never an easy job because each person has his/her preferences/requirements.
A lot depends on your sleeping patterns. This mattress buying guide explores all such options to simplify the process of purchasing the ideal mattress to suit your needs. Before that, here are some of the top mattress brands available in India.
1. Duroflex Livein Anti-Microbial Fabric 6-inches Double Size Memory Foam Mattress
This Duroflex Livein memory foam mattress is available in various sizes. As it offers a quick and hassle-free setup, this mattress is perfect for those who like to live out of the box. Made from high resilience foam, this bed offers contouring support to make your nights comfortable.
The high resilience memory foam adjusts to your body contours to enhance the support factor. Besides, it features a comfy super-soft foam layer for additional comfort. The highlighting aspect is the anti-microbial treatment to protect your family from dust mites, bacteria, and fungi.
The memory foam relieves the pressure exerted by your body on the mattress by molding itself to your body’s shape and gives you a luxurious feel. The combination of resilient and responsive foam layers support and the right amount of bounce.
One of the fascinating aspects of this memory foam mattress is that it is easy to assemble and install. It saves time, effort, and energy as you unbox the bed and roll it out on your bed.
2. Sleepyhead Original 3-layered Orthopedic Memory Foam Mattress
The choice of your ideal mattress depends a lot on how you sleep. Some like hard beds, whereas some prefer them to be soft. You also have springy beds, but Sleepyhead Original memory foam gives you all the three benefits. Hence, it is the most preferred of all beds in India.
The Sleepyhead Original has a firm foam base with the memory foam in the middle and a breathable soft layer to provide the best comfort at the top. This bed offers the right amount of firmness to support 90% of all body types without compromising its softness and cushiness.
This bed provides the right amount of bounce without causing any disturbance to your partner, irrespective of how much you toss and turn around in bed.
This mattress comes equipped with three substantial foam layers to offer the required density and ensure a comfortable night’s sleep. The washable outer cover allows you to maintain the highest hygiene levels.
Assembling and installing this mattress is one of the easiest things to do as it comes in a DIY box.
3. Wakefit Orthopedic Memory Foam 8-inches King Mattress
People with spinal issues should go for an orthopedic memory foam mattress to get the right support. This Wakefit Orthopedic Memory Foam bed adapts to your body contours and provides consistent support throughout.
As the bodyweight gets distributed uniformly across the bed, you do not experience blood clots and restlessness.
The breathable fabric enables free air circulation to provide maximum support and comfort. This mattress features next-gen memory foam that adjusts to your body shape perfectly.
The Wakefit Orthopedic mattress features a differential pressure zone layer to enable you to align your spine in a straight line. It improves your sleeping posture tremendously. The differential pressure zone layer has smart spaces to allow proper air circulation.
Finally, the high resilience foam layer provides the kind of comfort you look for after a hard day at work.
The removable zippered outer cover makes it easy for you to wash and maintain the necessary hygiene levels. One of the best features of this memory foam bed is that it is usable on both sides.
4. SleepyCat Plus Mattress with 2-inch Premium Gel Memory foam
This SleepyCat Plus Mattress is a higher-end version of its original predecessor as it is built to provide you perfect firmness and comfort.
This 8-inches mattress includes a 2-inch gel memory foam layer and a 6-inches high-density foam base to provide the best comfort and support. The smart and washable zipper cover ensures that the bed does get soiled.
The therapeutic gel memory foam layer helps distribute your bodyweight uniformly and keeps it cool throughout the night. The orthopedic nature provides natural alignment and relieves the pressure points to prevent body aches. The gel beads in the gel memory foam layer regulate your body temperature and keep your body cool.
The comfort top layer provides a motion isolation factor and allows you and your partner to sleep peacefully. This feature ensures that the tossing and turning around one partner in bed does not affect the other.
The smart zipper cover allows you to keep the mattress clean as you can unzip and wash it whenever required. It is also possible to separate the top layer from the bottom for easy cleaning without removing the entire cover.
5. SleepX Ortho mattress
SleepX Ortho mattress provides innovative sleep solutions as it uses premium materials and advanced sleep technology, including Neem Fresche Technology. This mattress comes with the perfect design so that you do not wake up in the morning with a backache.
SleepX Ortho mattress adjusts to your sleeping positions and acts on the pressure points to keep you fresh in the morning. This bed features multiple memory foam layers such as memory, resilient, and rebonded foam to provide the best spine solution and lasting relief.
The presence of Softech Quiltech foam in quilting at the top and bottom adds to the comfort. The Aero firm bottom allows free air circulation to keep your body cool and fresh. The five-layered engineered design provides optimum back support. Thus, you do not toss and turn around in your sleep.
This mattress comes in a pre-assembled form. Hence, it does not require any assembly. All you do is unpack and place it on the bed.
This bed is available in different colors to match your home décor.
Buying Guide For the best mattress
Many thought processes go into choosing the right mattress because of individual preferences, body type, sleeping patterns, etc.
The ideal bed is one that provides you the maximum comfort while supporting the body’s needs. Various factors merit consideration when purchasing a new mattress.
- Your sleeping posture determines the mattress you purchase.
- Your comfort requirement is of paramount importance.
- The budget plays a critical role.
- If you have medical ailments, you need to exercise care when purchasing the ideal mattress.
The spinal column alignment is crucial as it helps you avoid back pain and improve your overall posture. Therefore, the mattress you choose should support your spinal column well.
This buying guide aims to make it simple for you to choose the best mattress. Besides discussing the different types of beds available on the Indian market, we shall also look at the appropriate size. The tips to help clean your mattress can prove helpful to you in the long run.
Different Types of Mattresses
As we concentrate on Indian buyers, we discuss mattresses available in India alone.
When you discuss comfortable mattresses in India, spring mattresses feature at the top of the list. The older adults prefer to go for spring mattresses compared to memory foam or others.
These mattresses feature metal springs or coils wrapped inside layers of cushion fabric. Generally, you have two types of spring mattresses.
- Open Coil Mattress
Open coil mattress or the traditional innerspring mattress have interconnected coils in a metal mesh that spreads evenly across the bed. The uniform connection extends from the top to the bottom surface. Compared to other mattresses, open coil beds are affordable. However, they have their demerits that make it less popular.
The primary limitation is the lack of motion isolation. Hence, it can disturb your partner if you habitually toss and turn around restlessly at night. These beds are comparatively hard and do not provide body contouring.
- Pocket Spring Mattress
The pocket spring mattresses are different from open coil beds as these mattresses do not have interconnected springs. Instead, each spring moves independently of the other. As a result, you do not disturb your partner when sleeping. Besides, the different pressure zones allow equal bodyweight distribution.
Compared to coil mattresses, pocket spring beds provide better support and comfort. As they offer a decent level of contouring, they help maintain the optimum spinal posture.
Positives of Spring Mattresses
- The spring beds are easily affordable among all mattresses.
- They offer more bounciness and have an average lifespan of around seven to eight years.
- The open spaces inside the mattress enable free air circulation. Hence, there is no question of heat-trapping or sweatiness.
- The pocket spring mattress offers excellent motion isolation.
Negatives of Spring Mattresses
- These mattresses are more rigid and heavier than other beds.
- The padding can get compressed over usage.
- These mattresses are the toughest to clean.
- The open coil beds exhibit motion transfer.
Rubberized Coir Mattress
Rubberized coir mattresses are common in India because they are the least expensive of all. These beds are made up of a combination of coconut coir fiber and a bouncy latex solution. As these beds come with rubberized coir, they offer medium-firm support. However, they exhibit natural springiness
Though these beds have latex, you cannot compare the bounciness with a 100% latex mattress. Compared to other beds, this mattress is eco-friendly. However, they are not recommended for people with orthopedic issues.
Positives of Rubberized Coir Mattress
- They are eco-friendly and the least expensive of all mattresses.
- These beds offer excellent ventilation.
- They do not trap dust and offer motion isolation.
Negatives of Rubberized Coir Mattress
- These beds sag easily and do not last more than five years.
- Compared to other mattresses, they are hard.
- These beds are not ideal for those with spinal problems.
Sleepers who prefer additional softness can go for the foam mattresses made of polyurethane foam. Though synthetically made, they are bouncy. However, the spring mattresses are bouncier.
Positives of Foam mattresses
- These beds do not display motion transfer and exhibit medium durability.
- They are soft, comfortable, and light in weight.
- These mattresses are reversible.
Negatives of Foam mattresses
- Compared to spring and coir mattresses, these beds are expensive.
- They do not offer air circulation, and hence, the body retains heat.
- These beds do not provide ideal support to the spinal column, neck, and shoulders.
Memory Foam Mattresses
Though memory foam beds are also made of polyurethane foam, they undergo a different manufacturing process. These beds provide a softer sleeping experience and display pressure-relieving properties. These mattresses are the best for orthopedic patients as they are renowned for relieving sore pressure points.
The significant drawback of these beds is that they trap heat and hence can prove uncomfortable. Some models come with an open cell structure to improve air circulation. You also have the cooling gel memory foam mattress that caters to this drawback to make it cool for the sleeper.
Positives of memory foam mattress
- These beds last for more than 15 years. With proper maintenance, you can extend the lifespan to even 25 years.
- As they provide spinal alignment, these beds offer maximum support.
- The memory foam mattresses adjust to the body contours and regain the original shape quickly.
- They do not exhibit motion transfer.
Negatives of memory foam mattress
- Compared to regular foam mattresses, these beds are expensive.
- Generally, memory foam beds retain heat.
- These are high-density mattresses and hence, difficult to move.
- These beds tend to off-gas.
Bonded Foam Mattress
Bonded foam mattresses are different because they are made by gluing scrap pieces of polyurethane foam at high pressure. This process makes the base hard, which is then topped up using memory foam. Therefore, the bed remains intact without sagging.
The benefit of this bonded foam mattress is that it is reversible. People who want a hard surface can flip over the bed and get a more rigid surface to sleep. You can always flip it back and return to the softer mattress.
Positives of bonded foam mattress
- Among all-foam mattresses, the bonded foam beds are the cheapest.
- These beds are light in weight.
- Being reversible, you experience hard and soft beds in a single mattress.
Negatives of bonded foam mattress
- These beds retain body heat.
- As these mattresses are firm, they do not support air circulation.
- These beds do not respond to body weight.
Latex mattresses are expensive than spring and foam beds. The advantage is that latex is an eco-friendly substance that is collected from rubber tree sap. It absorbs carbon dioxide and hence reduces greenhouse gas emissions.
The natural springiness of latex makes it bouncy and elastic. Thus, they provide the highest degree of comfort when sleeping. Like memory foam, latex conforms to body shapes and is therefore excellent for people with postural deformities. As it adjusts to your body shapes, it is ideal for all sleeping positions.
Latex beds are the best to provide relief to the body’s pressure points. Hence, these mattresses improve blood circulation. Research has proved that sleeping for extended periods on a latex bed prevents body pain.
Latex has the uncanny ability to recover from the weight put on it. Therefore, there are no permanent indentations on these beds. These beds isolate motion transfer. Hence, it provides undisturbed sleep to both partners.
Latex beds do not make noise and also allows easy air circulation. Therefore, these beds are breathable. These qualities enable latex mattresses to gain the distinction of being the most sleeper-friendly mattress in India.
The Talalay Latex mattresses display higher consistency than Dunlop mattresses. Besides being softer and bouncier, they are also expensive.
Positives of Latex mattress
- Latex mattresses are soft, comfortable, durable, and environmentally friendly.
- They provide excellent air circulation and breathability.
- Besides providing relief from pain, latex beds improve blood circulation.
- Latex mattresses correct postural deformities and align the spinal column correctly.
- They do not make noise and ensure zero motion transfer.
- Organic latex is 100% hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites, allergens, and molds.
Negatives of Latex mattress
- Latex beds are heavy.
- These mattresses are expensive than spring or foam mattresses.
As the name suggests, these mattresses are inflatable. They are made of rubber, vinyl, or plastic. These beds comprise multiple chambers that can be inflated with air. The benefit of such mattresses is that you can change the firmness by increasing/decreasing the air pressure. Generally, these beds are ideal for heavy people and those suffering from bedsores.
These beds can be deflated and taken along for camping. However, they are not ideal for daily use.
Positives of air mattress
- These beds are durable, convenient, and light in weight.
- They are ideal for patients and people with back pain.
- They do not sag or gas off and give a feeling of floating in the air.
- They provide customized firmness.
Negatives of air mattress
- These mattresses are prone to punctures.
Waterbed mattresses are vinyl beds filled with water. Generally, you have them in five-star hotels and hospitals. These beds are excellent for patients as they provide customized firmness.
Two types of waterbed mattresses are available.
- Softside Mattress – These beds have sturdy foam frames covered with fabric. The top layer is padded to give more comfort.
- Hardside Mattress – These beds feature a hard or soft wooden frame.
Positives of Waterbed Mattress
- These are ideal beds for patients as they help relieve pressure sores.
- These mattresses provide excellent pain relief.
- You can regulate the water temperature to provide greater comfort.
Negatives of Waterbed Mattress
- These beds require excessive maintenance for filling and draining water.
- Compared to other beds, they are heavy.
- These mattresses can develop leakages.
Orthopedic mattresses are unique because they are ergonomically designed to support the skeletal system. These beds help to align the spinal column and alleviate pressure on the spine. Therefore, these mattresses are excellent for reducing back pain and maintaining a healthy posture.
People with chronic back pain should opt for an orthopedic mattress. These beds adjust to the body shapes and offer a soft yet firm surface to sleep. These mattresses are available as memory foam or latex beds.
We have discussed various types of mattresses available on the Indian market. We shall now focus on the aspects to consider when purchasing the ideal mattress for your home.
- The best mattress is one where you experience the greatest comfort when sleeping.
- You can test the mattress in the showroom by lying down on it.
- Some mattresses offer a 100-nights offer where you can return the bed if not satisfied.
- If you prefer a more rigid surface for sleeping, it is advisable to go for a spring or a rubberized coir mattress.
- Memory foam and latex mattresses are excellent if you love softer surfaces.
- The bed that provides maximum air circulation is the best.
Heavy people should opt for beds that can distribute their weight equally. They are better off choosing a firm and thick mattress. The ideal thickness should be around six to eight inches.
Your sleeping pattern determines the type of mattress you buy. There are different kinds of sleepers, with each category comfortable with a specific mattress type.
- Side Sleepers or Back Sleepers – Such people should opt for a soft mattress, like latex or memory foam. If you go for a spring mattress, you can have a soft mattress topper to enhance comfort levels.
- Stomach Sleepers – A firm mattress is ideal for people who sleep on their stomachs. The spring mattress is the best bet to avoid body pain or postural deformities.
People suffering from acute back pain should go for an orthopedic mattress after consulting their doctor. Depending on the softness you need, you can go for latex or memory foam orthopedic beds.
Allergies and other medical conditions
If you are prone to dust allergies, you should invest in a hypoallergenic mattress. The memory foam and latex mattresses are hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites and molds.
Mattress Sizes Available in India
|Bed Size||Length x Width (inches)||Height (inches)||Ideal for|
|Single bed||75 x 36||6||Individuals and best for kids|
|Double bed||75 x 54||6||Couples|
|Queen Size||78 x 60||6||Couples + one kid|
|King Size||78 x 72||6||Couples + two kids|
|Cal King Size||84 x 72||6||Taller people|
Why clean your mattress?
Cleaning your mattress is crucial as they are prone to collect dust and dirt. As you sleep, your bed gets exposed to sweat, dead skin tissues, body oils, reside from pets, and eatables. Besides, you have dust mites, bacteria, and molds collecting on your mattress.
If you have children in your home, liquid spills are common. Children also tend to pass urine or vomit on the bed. Hence, cleaning the mattress frequently gains significance.
Tips for cleaning your mattress
Here are some actionable tips for cleaning and maintaining your mattress
How to remove stains from the mattress?
- Vinegar and hydrogen peroxide can be used in combination with baking soda and detergents to remove stains.
- Enzyme cleaners are also useful for removing stains.
- You can spray the enzyme cleaner on the stain and leave it for 15 minutes. A paper towel should prove sufficient to wipe the stained surface.
How to maintain your mattress?
- It is always better to use a mattress protector cover to protect your bed from damage. An organic cotton fabric cover is preferable.
- A waterproof mattress cover is desirable.
- It is advisable to wash the covers regularly.
- Flipping the mattress and rotating it every 2-3 months extends the mattress’s lifespan.
- One should avoid spilling liquids or other eatables on the mattress.
- If you have kids at home, it is better to use diapers. You can also educate your children to urinate by themselves.
This buying guide should have made it easy for you to decide on the ideal mattress for your home. You have an excellent range available on display. Use these tips to clean and maintain your bed for a long time.
Last update on 2021-03-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API